Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Lament of the Too-Small Sweater

Once upon a time, an ambitious aunt decided that she would hand knit a sweater for her niece and nephew on each of their birthdays. So far, given that her niece is 2 and her nephew just turned 1, this has not been too much of a struggle.

Witness:
Niece Year 1



Niece Year 2


Nephew Year 0 (modeled at 7 mos)


Which brings us to Nephew Year 1. And my great hopes for this beautiful sweater called George. I chose Cashsoft which makes me happy. A gorgeous red to break out of my green rut. And had to do the pockets 4 times to get them right. And, given that my nephew is on the short side, I thought making the 1-2 year size would be perfect for him for the next few months. Unfortunately Jaeger has a different idea of sizing and their land is full of midget babies. (Colleen is much smarter than me and actually realized this sizing problem along the way and made adjustments.)

It's WAY too small. My sister-in-law was gracious enough to offer to stuff her son into it but I didn't think the torture was worth it. So it will go to a pregnant friend and I will have to accept the fact that i'm a bad, bad auntie. Better start working on next year's oversized sweaters now.

5 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful children!! ;-)

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want you as my aunty. thaosky

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Thea said...

they look very sweet - as a Mom, I can vouch for your sister - will stuff 'em in anything that's cute no matter what the size - PS - will be at KS with your winder!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Thea said...

didn't have your proper email and wanted to make sure you got the winder! Had to run in and out, but left it on the table for you to take.
It's pretty self explanatory - let me know if you need any instructions!

Thea

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog!

And you're not a bad auntie. What are you talking about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home